Photographs from Qingdao 2010
 (formerly German Tsingtao)
Photos Keith Lam


Modern Qingdao was annexed by Germany along with its surrounding territory in 1897. From then until its capture by the Japanese in 1914 it was built up as a German style fortified city. Many aspects of the German period are still visible in the modern city, from architecture to trees. The most famous reminder of the occupation is probably Tsingtao Beer, originally made by German brewers to quench the thirsts of the naval garrison and now exported to Chinese restaurants all over the world.



An intact German bunker. This would have been one visible part of a larger underground fort. The Germans built up a large system of fortifications all around Tsingtao consisting of steel and concrete bunkers and gun emplacements. While most of the bunkers were destroyed during and after the Japanese siege this one on Qingdao Hill Park also known appropriately as as Fortress Hill is still perfectly preserved.



The inside of the cupola of the German bunker with its revolving mechanism still in working order.



A map of the underground fort and command post.



Inside the underground fort. Note the imperial eagle above the door. The statues are a later addition.



The concrete corridors with steel doors.



An historical museum near the fort inside Qingdao Hill Park. Many of the items displayed in the museum are more "representative" of the German era, rather than being actual German antiques.



Some exhibits from the Hill Park Museum. They show what looks like a Chinese army greatcoat from the post 1945 era with three spiked helmets that appear to have been covered in tinfoil. None of these items seem to be from the German occupation.



Some other curious uniforms (probably of Chinese, possibly Manchukuo army origin) with some German style medals. Once again, none of these items appear to be from the German occupation.



What looks like a plaster cast of a German imperial eagle possibly taken from the fort.



The former German governor's mansion built in Bavarian style.



The desk of the governor inside his mansion. The desk was made in Stuttgart and features hidden double drawers and a secret filing cabinet for confidential documents.



A black and white photograph on display in the governor's mansion showing it during construction. Construction began in 1908. Note the soldier from the III. Seebataillon in dark blue uniform on the far left.



Governor's mansion viewed from the mountain top



The Lutheran Church built in 1910.



The church viewed from the mountain top.



The harbour pier, originally built by the Chinese in 1892 and expanded by the Germans in 1901. It has since been expanded and rebuilt again and had a pagoda built on the end in 1930. This pier is now a symbol of the city and a picture of the pagoda is used on the logo of Tsingtao beer.



Looking the other way across the harbour, the German lighthouse can be seen. The Chinese battleship is a now a naval museum.



A relief map of Tsingtao in the German era. Note the shorter pier and lighthouse on an island (before a jetty was built to meet it) both in the left foreground. The naval barracks are shown in red just above them.



In the Ba Da Guan district there are eight roads planted with different European tress and built in different European architectural styles.



Another of the roads in Ba Da Guan.



Another of the roads in Ba Da Guan.



A park near Ba Da Guan also planted with European trees.


Recommended External Links-
The Official Qingdao Government and Tourism Website
Qingdao on Wikipedia
Jaduland photos of Tsingtao during the siege
Axis History Forum more photos of modern Qingdao
Travel Webshots and more photos of modern Qingdao


These photographs were taken by Keith Lam, please respect his generosity in sharing them with us by not reproducing them without prior permission.

Back to Main Menu for German Colonial Uniforms